Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

[P]  Everybody Gets High

Offline Avery May 14 2020, 12:28 PM
  • Dorsum
  • Race: Human
  • Total Posts: 11
  • Played by: Isilzheha
290 Mana · View All Items?
Times after festivals were always a delightful shift in the energy of the area. Of course they were absolutely wonderful during the whole affair, too, but there was something about the early morning when the sunrise still was a few hours away that caused the vampire to smile to himself. Avery enjoyed Khorl’s festivals, they were always so lively and a vast contrast to the button up affairs of Porthcrawl. That could also be because of his masters, the Lord and Lady of the house, since they tended to have a certain… taste. At least when it came to the flair they brought to the table. Avery preferred to cut loose, the free nature of the celebrations that typically were used in hopes of keeping nature happy. It was because of this the vampire was feeling energized, wrapped in furs and nowhere near as sweaty as the others who were pouring out around him. Like he was a rock in the middle of a stream, crowds breaking away on either side as Avery simply enjoyed himself.

Once upon a time he would have left one of these festivals with someone at his side, a new friend who would only temporarily be called such a thing. His parents were good about ensuring his friends were temporary. It got to the point Avery didn’t even call them that anymore, and while he regretted bringing them home it wasn’t very often that he had to. He found it easier to detach when they were content to the very end, though maybe that’s because they didn’t know what was about to happen.

In spite of the hunger churning within him, the only time it ever did, Avery took it well in stride. So easily was it shoved aside that it was an afterthought to the warm bodies around him. They were deep in conversation, talking about the girls they thought were pretty or the songs they thought were the best from the bards. Some even spoke of deeply intense experiences out in the thinner portions of the jungles while others talked about nothing at all. Those ones were far gone in their inebriation, and Avery could smell more than just alcohol in the mix.

It wasn’t until he strolled a bit further down the path away from the larger congregation that he smelled something different. Chemical, more like, and pungent. It stood out against the others, Avery cocking his head to the side as he saw further down a rather hulking silhouette straying out away from the glow of the lanterns along the roads. He’s smelled it before, on the eximius, but they had never smelled quite so potent. It caused his nose to wrinkle, Avery not bothering to hide the slight disgust even as he trailed after the one who stumbled this way and that.

Then his expression slackened with a surprised laugh when the person turned as if to look towards his approach. Their heel caught against some stockpile, Avery watching with growing amusement when the other’s arms flailed about like windmills to find some semblance of balance. A hand shot up to cover his mouth, flinching when the greater weight of the stranger crashed down obnoxiously loud into the wood. It splintered and cracked, whatever was inside giving a prominent squish sound. Avery walked over, blinking in blatant curiosity more than concern for the wellbeing of whoever this was. A man, Avery thought from first glance, though that didn’t always mean much in Gil’ead. There were horns growing from the skull as well, and sharp teeth poking out of the lips. “You smell weird, sir,” he commented bluntly, hands tucking behind his back as he leaned forward a bit. “You’re gonna get splinters if you keep layin’ in there like that. Might already have some. Can you even feel them?
Offline Salamander May 14 2020, 6:46 PM
  • Rogue
  • Race: Eximius
  • Total Posts: 49
  • Played by: Sbicy
120 Mana · View All Items?
Salamander pulls the cloth tight around their arm with their teeth, cinching on the underside to cut the flow of blood. Pins and needles flare beneath their skin, skittering like insects. A clawed hand flexes, palm up and the smooth underside of their forearms bared to the low candle light of their room at the Inn. The other hand flicks at the divot opposite their elbow, pressing with the tips of their fingers to find the subtle swelling of their veins. Their hand is going numb when they find it, keeping the pinch tight as they reach for the syringe resting on their knee.

Flicking it to release the bubbles of air, they aim carefully at the spot they identified and stick the point of the needle in. It’s not a large needle, but it wasn’t small, either. The praxi is pushed into their system and the effects are immediate. Their body flushes with heat, shuddering with the cold that overtakes it soon after. Pupils blow wide, rounding out from the hard, pointed slits they are when resting. Their mind plunges beneath the fold of the high, drowning in the chemicals that rush them up against the cliffside. Their horns knock against the wall as their crown lolls, drinking in the air with a partially open mouth to taste it on their tongue. Their senses heighten, adding a hard definition to sights, smells, and tastes.

”Mm.” They hum, tail curling in pleasure as they break the needle off the syringe, wrap it in cloth, and throw it in the trash. Standing is a bit of an ordeal when it’s at its heaviest, filling their limbs with rocks and lead as their head floats above their shoulders--disconnected. They push open the door and move back outside to catch the tail ends of the festival happening in Khorl.

The lights and people blur together, clawed hands passing drinks until there was a fire lit in their belly. The alcohol swirls with the praxi, trapped between ice and the bottom of the sea. It’s an addiction, craving this half-living state, a body without a mind.

Hours creep along, masqueraded in the dark of night until it begins to break into the early dawn. The grey sky lures them from the aftermath of the festival, following a path towards where the residential square grows spacious for fields. Dorsum, still so well known for its export of livestock in the wake of their regent being crowned a king, is outfitted for farmland. Even the large cities have them bordered, a fringe of their former purpose of being subjugated into nothing but a working state under Svalbard.

The cows are gathered near the fences, legs still folded beneath them as the heavy breaths of their slumber hiss loud in their sensitive ears. Salamander’s attention is caught, then torn away as someone’s voice sounds behind them. The twist of their body is too fast, catching on the corner of a stack of boxed goods and falling hard enough to break one with their ass.

”Fuuuck,” Their voice slurs with a laugh, wincing as they reach under them and scoop up a handful of the squishy material they had splattered. Their tongue sticks out in disgust, ”Shit, I smashed the ‘nanas.” Their hand smears what is left of the bananas on a crate, using the edge to hoist themselves up and attempt to rid themselves of the fruit smeared on their good pants. Damn.

”Better than that, darling,” They purr, now looking to their company and squinting with a sniff. ”I smell funny? You smell cold.” It didn’t make sense to anyone that lacked the clarity they currently held. ”Care to walk with me, sweetheart? Still shaking off the drinks and could use some protection.” They bat their eyes at the young man, daintily offering a hand before their joke breaks at their grin.

”Enjoy the festival, did you?” The husky drawl of their deep voice drops from its customary light and flirtatious, sounding on the verge of suddenly collapsing from lack of sleep.
Offline Avery May 14 2020, 7:43 PM
  • Dorsum
Avery could have easily crossed the space to where the much larger person was starting to fall. He was close enough that if he listened more intently he could hear the stutter of his heart in his chest. Sometimes he missed that, the rhythm of it. The vampire's pumped sluggishly, just enough to give him an almost anemic warmth. Cold, but lively. Not really so much alive, but it prevented him from being so easily plucked from the crowd. Instead of helping he just watched, one eye pinching shut with the wince even as a more than humored grin pulled across his lips. 'Fuuuck,' the horned eximius drawled. It wasn't the same time of subtle drawl Avery had. This one signified that the other was pretty messed up. Avery stalked closer, eyes wide and watchful as ever, and his spine straightened out. 'Shit, I smashed the ‘nanas.'

The vampire genuinely laughed at that, head tilting back to a degree. It was clearer than the exi's just seconds before, and Avery shook his head when a tongue was pushed between teeth in disgust. "You could try 'n make some puddin'," he supplied helpfully, sticking his hands into his pockets as he looked down at the eximius. "If you don't mind the… lint and stuff. Dirt. Probably some bits of wood would need to be picked out 'n the like. Mm, seems like a bad idea when you say it out loud like that. Nevermind." As soon as the train of thought started it ended, Avery shrugging his shoulders in absent dismissal. His thicker eyebrows scrunched up when the slurred tones rose up again.

"Cold? How so? I'm always cold. How do you even smell cold?" he asked, one question after the other as he actively rolled the observation around in his mind. Then he looked at the exi a little like he was the crazy one. "I have a pretty good nose for those kindsa things, sir, I think you're a lil' off." His eyes were bright gold swimming in a sea of dark black, Avery openly staring and forgetting to blink as he did so. That was the most telling of just what sort of person he was in the company of, other than the more obvious signs. 'Care to walk with me, sweetheart? Still shaking off the drinks and could use some protection,' he asked, Avery none the wiser to anything other than what he was seeing. The chemical smell was dominating anything else, and it was a small blessing that it masked the blood within. Sweetheart. If he could truly blush he would have.

Avery let out a hum in his throat, scuffing his shoe in the dirt as the exi blinked suggestively and wiggled his clawed fingers towards him. His body tilted away as if he were shy, thinking it over, and swayed to the other side with a single lifted shoulder. "Ohhhh, alright," he conceded as if he were heavily debating it to begin with. The predatory side of him saw an opportunity looking back at him just out of instinct and habit alone, but Avery had spent enough time in Dorsum under more relaxed care that he didn't feel the urge to capitalize on it. Avery took the hand, helping the eximius to his feet. He realized then with an audible wow how large he really was. Avery craned his neck from where he stood beside them, stabilizing them with a nonchalant hand on the midsection.

"Were you always that tall or did the Projects stretch you out? I've seen that before, or at least that's what they've told me. I imagine that's why you got those stickin' outta your forehead?" he asked, lifting a hand up to point as close to the horns as he dared. Like he didn't know what the vampire was getting at. Avery chuckled, mostly to himself as if there were a private joke. "Unless you always had those, too." Avery stuck an arm around the exi's back, letting him lean on him and not minding that some of the smashed up and now mushy bananas had transferred to his pants. Green eyes lit up at the tired, sighing question about the festival. Avery bobbed his head in a nod, giving the exi a sideways look. "I did! Someone puked right next to me. Then someone else saw them puke and did the same. I think there mighta even been a third one. She ran off, though. There was a lot of music and dancin'. Did you dance? Can you?"

There was no sense of proper pacing with him. Avery turned to look out into the darkness, hearing a somewhat distant shout and some laughter from up the path behind them. "Where ya even headin'? Where are we walkin'?"
Offline Salamander May 15 2020, 2:58 PM
  • Rogue
Salamander looks at the man before him, though looking might be a strong word. Their eyes are a solar eclipse, shadowed by the pupil with the faintest rim of glowing gold. The smell of banana feels like one is shoved up their nose, heightened by the drugs that circulate through their veins. Wiping what they could from the fabric of their clothes, they rightly ignore their company's blabbing on about pudding. Yeah, bananass pudding. They laugh out loud at the thought, leveraging their weight as best they could in this state to stand on unsteady legs. Sucking in a deep breath, they wrinkle their nose at his comment on their smell, waving it off in a dismissal that does little to unsettle them. Their mind, submerged in the praxi, do not yet connect the strangeness of this… whatever he was, being able to scent the chemicals in their system.

”Cold, yes.” They don’t elaborate, focusing more on keeping their body perpendicular with the ground. Looking to change the subject of smell, they pass a flirt to the young man, hand outstretched as though asking him to dance. The boy toes at the dirt, bashful as he waffles on agreeing. Salamander grins, eyes half-lidded from the drug and to add more persuasion to the offer. Their hands meet, the grip of the other cool and strange as Salamander draws them close. The boy does not hesitate to put their hand around their waist, and the eximius returns the gesture in kind by draping a long, red arm over his shoulder. He’s shorter, so they must hunch down to adequately lean their weight on him.

”I suppose we will never know, as I was a child when they experimented. I could have been taller, or shorter, who knows.” They speak with a dramatic timbre to their voice, as though reading a script of their tragic backstory to a crowd, ”Yes, that is why I have horns. Let me tell you,” They swat his hand away from their head before redirecting their finger to poke a claw gently against his temple, ”Having growing pains in your head from having to grow these damn things is horrid. Hopefully, you never sprout any yourself, cutie.”

They laugh aloud again at the hurried tale of his experience at the festival.

”You make it sound so exciting, darling. It’s adorable.” They tap their chin with their free hand, eyes sliding over to give the man a cryptic look. ”I don’t know, can I dance? I suppose you’ll never know unless you dance with me, hm? Then we’ll find out if you can, too.”

Salamander takes the rapidfire questions in stride as much as they can, their brain sloshing around in their skull as the high threatens to wane. The side effects when it was all said and done hardly made the ordeal worth it, but that never stopped them from taking it. Blinking as if pulled from a dream, they squint ahead at the question that is passed their way. Yeah… where were they going?

”I want to watch the sun come up with the cows. Won’t that be romantic? Will you watch it with me?” Their ears droop for maximum effectiveness as they turn comically pleading eyes to the young man carrying them down the road.
Offline Avery May 15 2020, 4:05 PM
  • Dorsum
If he noticed just how truly out of it the stranger was Avery didn't show it. He spoke to him like he would anyone else who was fully aware of their surroundings. There wasn't relief or distress knowing that he was talking to an eximius, nor was there any indication that the vampire was put off by the minor dismissal he was getting at times. Avery took it all in stride, like he did the arm draped over him and the nonchalant pushing aside regarding what he smelled like. A mental shrug, as it were, as he slotted himself next to the taller form like they were old friends. There was wonderment to be had in seeing the horned man up close, hands pointing and eyes searching scaled features. His skin felt thicker, like hide, yet it was still soft. 'I could have been taller, or shorter, who knows,' the exi slurred in response, Avery smiling absently at the story-telling voice.

"You mighta been a dwarf, with your face in everyone's rear ends," he laughed, the thoughts he voiced aloud impulsively not really passing through any sort of filter. His hand was swatted away, but Avery didn't take it personally. The favor wasn't returned when the pad of one of his fingers pressed to his temple through the dark curls, the smile never seeming to leave his face. "I can't grow horns! That's ridiculous. Bodies don't work that way, y'see. Would have to adapt and evolve, though why anyone would need horns is beyond me." He heard the flirtatious comments and he even understood where they might be coming from. "They look good on you, sir. Very cool," he tacked on with a subtle sniff. He'd gotten used to the smell even if it was all that he could glean in the moment. Bananas of course, too, and maybe even something like metal. It wasn't blood, but he could smell that also.

When he asked about the festival Avery slid into the transition with as much grace as he could muster. Given his usual penchant for unusual conversations that didn't amount to much. He was excited, and it was poorly contained. Avery liked his laugh, he found, feeling it vibrate through him as they stood rather awkwardly in the street. 'You make it sound so exciting, darling. It’s adorable.' Was it? Avery couldn't tell why there. It had been enjoyable to watch. "I suppose so," was all he said, lost in a line of contemplation. The movement of the exi's hand tapping at his chin caused Avery to look up again, eyebrows rising with his head in patient questioning. He grinned at what he said next with a flash of pointed teeth. "I don't think you should dance right now, sir. You might smash the oranges this time," he said in jest, somewhat bashfully even if he didn't know there were oranges or not, "but rest assured I can dance fairly well. My papa taught me good, 'n my master makes sure I keep up with it. Maybe another time, big fella."

Avery ended that with a gentle pat on his chest, hand lingering without much thought since his own had already once again turned to what they were even supposed to be doing. The inn of this village was back the opposite way of where they came. 'I want to watch the sun come up with the cows. Won’t that be romantic? Will you watch it with me?' Avery eyed them that time, a bit suspiciously with a squint of his eyes. He wasn't worried about being on the receiving end of anything he might have been tasked with years ago, so it was a different sort of suspicion. "What's romantic and what isn't is kinda subjective, sir," he answered plainly and obviously, "but I think it can be. The sun is nice, and cows are nice. They're probably sleepin' right 'bout now. Which is what you look like you're 'bout to do. Can you even make it a few more hours?" Once more he rolled off into a bit of a tangent, but even in spite of that he started leading his newfound companion across the dirt road.

There was a pasture just that way, Avery just barely able to pick past the most heavy stench to find the one of manure and warmer blood. Just over the fence a few larger lumps of black and white lay in the grass or otherwise standing. "They're gonna be herded up, y'know? That's what they do, they're very familial. Territorial. These ones don't know me, and I reckon they don't know you neither," he said then, poking the exi in emphasis. "Buuut… if that's whatcha wanna do. Here we go, up 'n at 'em." Avery still displayed the utmost patience, even with the bumbling weight of the eximius became a bit of a hassle to get up and over the fence. The vampire joined him with a quick step, vaulting himself over and helping the stranger find his footing again. It would get more perilous here, in the fields where the ground was uneven and crested up into small hills.

He guided him to the outer edges of one of the clusters of bovine, Avery spinning him around when he wasn't going where he needed to be. The entire situation didn't strike him as odd, Avery plopping down into the grass and not really minding if they had stepped in or sat in manure. He pulled the stranger down in between his legs to lay, horns coming dangerously close to nicking him and all the vampire did was adjust his body to make it fit. Avery brushed some strands of black hair from his face, looking down at him and barely processing how half-asleep he looked. "It's gonna be hard to see the sunrise with your eyes closed. I can keep them open if you'd like," he offered, sounding completely serious. In a demonstration of what that meant he bracketed the exi's weird eyes with his fingers, gently guiding the eyelids open until they were comically wide.
Offline Salamander May 16 2020, 1:45 AM
  • Rogue
Were they of more sound mind, they would have been intrigued and charmed by this young man and his strange attitude. Alas, they were high off their ass, barely a single coherent thought floating through their head. He's easy-going, so much so to allow a person he didn't know lean all over him in, what could be, a farce of inebriation. There was an ignorance to his nature, one so purposeful that they would have grown suspicious of his airy confidence and double checked their pockets for missing items. Thankfully, their tail was normally a good deterrent when hands tried to grasp at any pouches or bags they had hanging near it.

They nearly turn around and congratulate the appendage for doing a good job before the boy's voice drifts up again, taking on an educational tone as he informs them that humans cannot grow horns. Well, they would have thought the same thing until the damn things sprouted out of their head like daisies. They snort through a laugh, having to reach up and cover their mouth with the back of their hand as the laughter sputters and shakes their shoulders.

"Y'know, I was human once, too. Guess not anymore, but that doesn't mean that you can't grow horns if you really wanted to. Don't let your dreams be dreams, sweetheart." They poke out their forked tongue at the tease, feigning a look of bashfulness at the compliment. "Oh, thank you, I try to keep up with the latest and greatest. Seems horns are all the rage these days." To be honest, they only knew one other eximius with horns besides themselves. "If you want to stick out, that is."

There isn't much going on in their head beyond aimless thoughts, detached and passing by like buoys in the sea. Nothing grasps at their attention, capturing it long enough to prevent it from drifting away again. Their golden eyes rove over the fields, tinted with the shy rays of the early, early dawn. It couldn't be any later than four, and the realization suddenly makes them rather tired. Fatigue is a side effect of the crash from the praxi, among many other unpleasant, painful things. Eh, they would worry about it when it became relevant, no sense trying to prevent an inevitable outcome. "You doubt my ability to dance when I'm inebriated? You wound me, sir." A clawed hand flattens against their chest, "Master? Are you a slave?" They wrinkle their nose at him with the question. Slavery was not something Salamander ever touched, and had no intention of doing so. They found it quite ironic a career to take when they were crafted for the exact same purpose. What comes around goes around, they suppose.

"Is it? Pretty sure that watching the sunrise is romantic no matter who you ask. Well, maybe a vampire wouldn't like it so much." They laugh at their joke, completely unaware of the comedic timing of it. "Pft, please, don't worry about me, sweetheart. I can make it." Though they were confident in the answer, the slur of their words and the increase of their weight against the boy said otherwise.

Salamander already feels their eyes drooping when they get pushed into the fence. They pause, hands curling and uncurling around the fencing as if trying to figure out what it was. Squinting, they blink again when the boy tugged on their ruined pants, hoisting them part of the way up and pulling a surprised chuckle from their lips as they clumsily scramble over the rest of the way on their own. They flop over completely, landing on their chest in the grass with an audible oomf. Sitting up and rubbing the space where the scales spread apart on their sternum for a smoother patch of skin, they turn one eye to the man as he hops over without incident. "Showoff."

More than once in the trek Salamander barely skips over a pile of shit in time to avoid it, getting turned this way and that by their companion when they were, apparently, going the wrong way. Eventually, they got to the crest of a hill where some cattle were resting nearby, perfect for a view of the eastern horizon and the sunrise. They plop down without grace, going without a fight when soft, pale hands pull at their shoulders and coax them on their back--head resting in the lap of a total stranger.

They aren't sure what happened, but they find themselves torn from a short, short nap with the forceful parting of their eyelid. The pupil actually contracts against the low light, showing signs of life as the eximius keeps their arms awkwardly draped over the man's thighs and attempts to close their eye with raw strength. They manage to pull it shut, huffing a grunt of victory. "Stupid humans even made our eyelids strong." Their voice is low and husky with sleep, the anchors of fatigue tugging at their muscles. Twisting onto their side, not bothering to make sure their horns wouldn't poke the poor guy, they turn over and effectively use his lap as a pillow.

"You weren't kidding about always being cold. A damn iceberg, sweetie." They mumble, one eye turned to fix upon his face, "Kind of you to let me borrow your lap for this date." The single eye winks, "I never got your name, either. Mine's Salamander, but you can call me Sal, as I'm sure you have a lot to say about salamanders."
Offline Avery Jun 10 2020, 7:38 PM
  • Dorsum
Y'know, I was human once, too. Guess not anymore, but that doesn't mean that you can't grow horns if you really wanted to. Don't let your dreams be dreams, sweetheart.

Avery pondered that for a moment. A bit openly, too, with the way his eyebrows wrinkled and he tilted his head. His hand rose to swipe away some of the curls, green eyes looking towards the stranger’s face without really seeing. He’d been human once. He also never really thought about dreams much or goals of his own. None of his upbringing had been conducive for that kind of thinking. This belligerent eximius with nice teeth and good proportions was quite the odd one. He smiled nonetheless, nodding in acceptance of the advice but he had nothing else to say on that point. Just jokes about the potential idea that this tall person had once been short and stubby, warped by the Projects in ways that gave them scales and horns from their brow. “There is quite the market for trends, I would say. Town criers and people outside of their shops always are fixin’ to draw in the crowds. Don’t imagine horns are on the list, though, but maybe they could be!” he responded easily, guiding the eximius down whichever way had been decided.

He liked his laugh, he found, even if it was a bit giggly and overbearing in its abruptness at times. Avery didn’t often get the chance to make others laugh, unless it's been at his own expense. Most of the time his social engagements had to be kept on the straight and narrow. With Sammael it was a bit more relaxed in that way, but while there was a level of freedom he’d been given Avery also knew there were still limitations to it. He was a bit lost in his own musings now and didn’t realize the eximius had responded to his decline of a dance with the clearly out of sorts partner he would have had. ‘Master? Are you a slave?’ He caught that one, however, because of the title. Not ‘slave’ so much as the ‘master’. It was ingrained within him, like a small bell had been just barely rung. He considered it for a long, long second with a dragged out hum. “I s’pose you could say that I am. That depends on how you look at it,” he answered simply and honestly. He’d not been told he was a slave, but that didn’t always mean anything. He remembered vividly the merchant vessel he was on being attacked and boarded as well as the pirates who stowed him and his friend into cages. Then his master and his wife came along, taking them both together.

Avery sometimes missed being home, but he dared not bring it up anymore than he had at first. More so it had been a warning for all who tried to interfere with what the vampire had been tasked with doing. None of them listened, so he gave up trying. Eventually his mother and father would come looking if they weren’t already, and he didn’t doubt that they would find him. It was just a matter of time. He focused on his current company now, as he wished to go sit in the pastures with the cows to watch the sunrise. ‘Is it? Pretty sure that watching the sunrise is romantic no matter who you ask. Well, maybe a vampire wouldn't like it so much,’ he laughed, and Avery had to laugh with him. “That’s a myth, y’know. Vampires burstin’ into flames at sunrise. Or crumblin’ into dust. They can move about just like you ‘n me durin’ the day.” He actually quite enjoyed the sun and the way it could warm his skin. Made him feel like he was human again.

Still he ran cold, so he wore plenty of furs to offset that even if he didn’t truly get as warm as he should have with proper blood flow. Avery didn’t really think going into the pasture was the best idea, even with his ability to see better in the dark. But the eximius wanted to and said it would be romantic, so it seemed like a good way to ease him into some form of rest. Avery laughed again, softer this time, when his temporary companion almost collapsed in such a way that his feet bent towards his head. “Not showin’ off, sir, just a touch more sober than you,” he commented gently, humbling himself even while acting as the guide for the eximius when he started to veer away. Avery brought him back on course, stepping around the piles of refuse until he was content with where they ended up to boldly guide the eximius down to sit with him. He wasn’t too surprised that he didn’t try to fight it considering how he fell around in a box of bananas.

Avery heard their heartbeat start to calm, evening out from the walk and the slow descent into slumber. He didn’t think he wanted that just yet, considering he’d been talking about the sunrise just a bit ago. So he propped his eyes open as he leaned forward, the eximius’ head tilted enough that slanted horns could curve past the vampire’s leg. Avery smiled when the eximius managed to pull the eyelid back down, his hand drifting away to rest on his leg even as he still hunched over to look down at the other’s face. The thought of the Projects making even small parts of the body so eerily strong was amusing for sure. Avery leaned back when the eximius started to move, palms flat on the grass and shoulders bunching while he situated himself better on his lap until his cheek was touching his thigh. ‘You weren't kidding about always being cold. A damn iceberg, sweetie,’ he mumbled, an eye cracking open to look up to the vampire’s face. Avery tilted his head to rest it on his jutting shoulder. ”Not much I can do ‘bout that, sir. Sorry.” he apologized.

It could pass for being anemia to the less trained, if they weren’t able to see the sharp canines in his mouth that were certainly not human. He didn’t move around like he was weak, either, but for the most part there was plenty to help him pass for what he used to be. Alive. ‘Kind of you to let me borrow your lap for this date.’ Avery blinked at that, eyebrows knitting together as his head straightened out. “A date?” he asked a bit louder than he should have, one of the cows shuffling nearby. “Never been on a date before. I don’t think this counts,” he chuckled, unknowingly a bit condescending. The eximius winked at him even though it looked more like a blink, and Avery’s expression relaxed some. He said his name was Salamander, which was about as weird as the eximius himself. Avery wasn’t one to judge, even if sometimes he still did. “Salamanders don’t much like pollution, or too many changes in their way of life. Is that true for you, too? I imagine you don’t stay long nowhere,” he said idly, brushing away some more of the eximius’ hair.

This time it went around one of their long ears, Avery starting to fold the tip a bit absently. Sal started to flick it reflexively, sort of like a cat. The vampire tickled a finger down the side of it. He’d not noticed that one of Sal’s horns had grazed through his shirt beyond the furs he wore, etching against the skin in the shift until he’d nestled in. It didn’t bleed with how shallow it was, but there was a noticeable tear in the dark fabric. He didn’t bleed much at all even with deep wounds; not enough blood flow (seeing as how there wasn't a whole lot of blood in him to begin with) from an excruciatingly slow heartbeat. Even now after moving about it stayed the same. “They can grow back bits of themselves if they get hacked off. Can you do that? Ohhh, they also have a taste for their own kind! I hope that ain’t the case with you. Does that happen with you all sometimes? I know things get all twisted in your heads.” He poked at Sal’s head a little for that emphasis. “Right, sir, I’m Avery. Pleasure to meet you, Salamander.
Offline Salamander Jul 29 2020, 1:03 AM
  • Rogue
Clouds have come to obscure the dawn, painting the horizon in swathes of pastels between streaks of black and gray. The moon wanes, retreating to follow the night as the morning crests into a new day. Beauty is lost on the one who seeks to capture it, beholden to the tangibility of possession to claim its value. This characteristic, mixed with their suspended state of lucidity, distracts Salamander from the sunrise they supposedly wanted to witness in the comfort of strange company. Instead, their eyes are closed, having had their fill so it seemed, as they lounge in Avery's lap. Distant from their thoughts, they wonder on the young man's status as a slave. More than likely, that is the fate that would have befallen the eximius had they not been snatched from the streets for the projects. One fateful event from being like this man here, chained to another.

Salamander can't fathom it, not in this state, though their high is beginning to plummet from its climax. Ugh, the aftermath was the worst, by far, and sometimes questioned the worth of the fade altogether. Though they varied between individuals, the eximius is acutely familiar with how the drug assaults their body when it thins. Fevers, sickness, hallucinations, irritability. The madness felt close then, breathing down the back of their neck as they persevere onward back to normality.

It does not escape their notice that the young man keeps referring to them as 'sir.' It hardly bothers them, having been mistaken for either or due to the ambiguity of their features and voice.

"Sir, ma'am, what is gender, anyway? A bunch of... predetermined judgments and social constraints to put everyone in one box or another." As they speak, voice slurring, their hands raise to bump into Avery's face as they mimic the motion of a box. "Making it easy for people to tell you who you gotta be." Their hands clap on his cheeks, chin tilting up to meet his eyes, "You can call me whatever, 'cause it doesn't matter. Nothing matters. We're all just... tiny little temporary blips in time, anyway." Their arms drop, stretching out on either side of the chilly stranger.

"Then count this as your first one." They pucker their lips like they are looking for a kiss, but make absolutely no move to lean up and get one. At the question of their name, a hum rumbles in their chest. There is a headache beginning to make a nest at their temple, scraping and digging as it settles in for the next few days.

"Naw, not really. I like to bounce around, see all kinds of things and people. It's fun. Stagnation is a quicker way to lose your mind, you know." They made that last part up entirely. "I don't think I can grow anything back if it gets lobbed off, but that's what magic is for, hm? You humans have that on lock." A red tongue curls from their mouth as it parts in a wide, long yawn--lips curling over sharp fangs. The way the human tickles their ear makes them giggle and shake their head a bit, swatting at the offending hand with little to no force behind it.

"Might have eaten some exi' when I get food at Svalbard. Never know what those freaks do to feel superior." Some part of them wouldn't have a hard time believing that, had they heard it from other lips.

"Jus' gonna take a nap here, Avery. Wake me up tomorrow." They do not wait for a confirmation before their eyes close and they twist to get comfortable on the human's lap, seeking extended solace from the inevitable misery that awaits those that indulge with greed.