Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

[P]  Predators Unseen

Offline Vivica May 16 2020, 8:49 PM
  • Svalbard
  • Race: Human
  • Total Posts: 21
  • Played by: Isilzheha
420 Mana · View All Items?
Since leaving the wilds of the Unclaim she grew up in there hadn’t been much need to return. A few old odds and ends serving as duplicates might be taken from where they sat in waiting or the somewhat vast library of the house would be dusted off. Vivica had everything she ever needed in Svalbard now, at least for her practices at the Queen’s side and in her own personal endeavors. Perhaps some small part of her felt… nostalgia at finding the magicked home built within the trees of the Hinterlands. It was nestled far back at the base of the mountains, the trees more monstrous in size with hardly any room between them.

Vivica knew exactly where she should go even after all of this time, not following the tracks or trying to find any sort of landmark. She followed the pull of the familiar magic instead, boots crunching against the ground and her cloak pulled further around her shoulders. She heard no predators and felt no others around her, the witch honing in on remnants of her own magic. Her and her sister’s, that is, both of them intermingling to hide away the home they had built together.

It twisted and wound its way up the trunks of the trees, ramps and rooms connected in various ways to allow for ease of passage. Curiously she heard the whinny of an equine, Vivica stopping just outside of the edges of the illusion. Mismatched eyes trailed along the surface of it, feeling it crackle like static where her skin was exposed beyond her gloves. Something had broken the illusion in parts with its rough passage, and the witch couldn’t help but feel amused when she saw what had done it. Wings were flapping about with the kicking of hooved legs to get some sort of balance for mount and rider.

The witch lifted her hand, fingers snapping with a muffled sound and what was left of the illusion melted away. Evidently the duo had clipped against portions of the tree once hidden away by the illusion, though at least there hadn’t been far to fall. Some of the steps were broken and with it the runes holding the magic in place on one side. “Apologies,” Vivica called out, voice rising enough to get their attention and remain at a distance, “nobody has ever come out this far. I do hope you are not hurt too terribly much.” There was no mistaking the humor she felt.
Offline Asa May 27 2020, 10:56 AM
  • Dorsum
  • Total Posts: 19
  • Played by: Day
130 Mana · View All Items?
Asa had been blindsided to say the least. One minute the skies were clear, and the next an impact rocked them both. Valkon let out a high whinny, a branch clipping his wing, which sent him careening into the outspread branches and leaves of a tree. A large one, too. And one that had seemingly come from nowhere. Certainly this was the magic of the Hinterlands — deadly place it was — one she’d no business flying over. Asa is cast backwards into the saddle. She loses her grip, releasing the reins so as not to pull at the alicorn’s face, and suffers a few bumps and tumbles on her way down. Unfortunately, unlike last time, she can’t find a solid grip on a branch, and her momentum only stops when she’s flat on the wooden deck with a loud thump.

It makes her groan. Asa reaches to feel the small of her back, hoping she hadn’t broken anything. She’s relieved she can still feel her legs; for a second she’d imagined that she’d be paralyzed. It would have taken years of magical healing to recover from that. Terribly expensive for one thing. Above her, Valkon is still carrying on; having freed himself from the branches (kicking at it, causing all sorts of plant debris to fall the ground), he wheeled about in the air, bucking his back legs, letting out agitated snorts and whinnies, not happy at all at having been fooled.

Beside her is a wrapped-up parcel. Asa reaches for it. “Oohh.” She holds it in her hands — gives it a little shake. She can’t hear any loose pieces shuffling around in there…but she can’t imagine that her delivery could survive such a fall unscathed. Neither does she want to open it to find out. Privacy and all. Asa had been given a pretty penny to deliver something to the other side of the Unclaim, and she didn’t want anything to threaten that. “Pleaseee be alright.”

The sound of a voice makes her start. Asa jumps to her feet, but can’t draw any of her weapons, for the sudden movement fills her with ache.

The sight of Vivica is an odd one. She looked immaculate out here in the wilderness. All lace and pattern and expensive clothing, yet not a shred of evidence that she had gotten her hands dirty the way one had to, living out here. Asa looks around her. Suddenly her surroundings are clear: a…home? “Who are you?”

She looks her up and down, trepidation clear in her voice. “Are you a…you’re a — hag!”

Hags of the Hinterlands. She knew them, had heard the myths. Everyone did.
Offline Vivica Jun 27 2020, 8:36 AM
  • Svalbard
  • Total Posts: 21
  • Played by: Isilzheha
420 Mana · View All Items?
The reaction the petite woman gave was an expected one, though fell a bit short in its zest to fend off a potential threat. Wide, apprehensive white eyes took a moment to find the witch, but once they did she found even more amusement in the way she floundered. Such jerky and energetic movements meant that she was likely not very hurt. Neither was her mount, from the looks of it.

Who are you?’ she asked. Another expected response. Vivica let her look around, the sway of her shorter hair bringing attention to the contrast of white roots upon her head. It was a relatively modest home for being one built over time into the foundations of nature, but it was expansive as it had been added onto the more she and her sister had use for such additions. Vivica hardly gets a chance to respond when the woman returned her focus to her, looking her over blatantly with those doe-like eyes as the witch started to close the gap between them.

It was done in relaxed posture for one such as she. Often the Magister kept poised and proud among the ranks of mortals in Svalbard, especially when it was called for most of the time, but out here in the wilderness it was clear she was equally as comfortable. If not moreso. ‘Are you a…you’re a — hag!

Vivica laughed at that, the sound one of genuinity with how easily it came forward. Her smile broadened into a knowing grin that flashed teeth, and her momentum continued leisurely. Non-threateningly. “Oh, I would not go so far as to place myself among hags. I suppose it depends on how you look at it,” she answered, stopping shy of the start of the steps that lead up in an incline of them towards the beginnings of the home. “I can assure you I have not bathed in infant’s blood to retain these looks. Though, taking my word for it in the Unclaim of all places would be unrealistic.

With that she shrugged, a gesture typically unbecoming of a proper lady. “If I were, you would be dead already. Or charmed, to be sure, and not just because of my charisma,” she said then, volume just a touch lower as she started to ascend the steps, eyes trained on the other woman. “If nothing is hurt between you and your beautiful companion then I must invite you in simply to make amends for the ill-placed illusion. Let me repay you with a drink of your choice and something to clean up with.