Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

★ THEOREM ENCYCLOPEDIA

Offline Onii May 20 2020, 12:45 PM
  • Race: Human
  • Total Posts: 21
  • Played by: Onii
80 Mana · ?

THE THEOREM ENCYCLOPEDIA

This is a steadily-growing compilation of research, discovery, theories and models that have been used to explain Gilead and its strange, unique parameters for Life, Death, and Beyond. Some entries come with the stories of the individuals who were involved in these discoveries--for better or worse.

CURRENT CONTENT SUMMARY, 05.20.20

I. CASKAL'S GILEADIAN MODEL: a condensed excerpt of research projects by famed scientist Mallard Caskal that led to greater understanding of the earth's anatomy, as well as the implementation of Waystones.

II. THE ESCOT PARADIGM: a proposed model explaining the anatomy of Gilead and its 5 strongest forces that not only keep it together, but comprise every living individual. The model has led to an understanding of each of these forces and the way individuals can be influenced by them.
Offline Onii May 20 2020, 12:46 PM
80 Mana · ?
CASKAL'S GILEADIAN MODEL

The famed Mallard Caskal (1250 C-1304 C), a renowned Svalbardian scientist, had been the first to propose the most widely-accepted model of Gilead as both a planet and source of energy. His work was heavily based around tapping into the secrets of what are now known as Waystones and Wayshards, fragments of Gilead's mantle. Melding all previous findings pertaining to Magic and its synonymous intertwine with life energy, Caskal was said to apply these things to his research on the mysterious power of the Waystones that had been unearthed. Their ability to not only conduct Magic but to induct it in exchange for a service had convinced him that it was connected to the previously-accepted system of Magic that was known to power life in Gilead. In an excerpt of his official 50-page address to the Svalbardian King of his time:

• "…and with a determined heart, I and mine have conceded on this. Moreover, should Your Highness demand it, I have the wherewithal necessary to devote to decades of research to prove to you a lion's share of certainty in my findings. The stones contain a property--no, an askance--of our most notable Mages who have concluded, in midst of me, that the drain from the crystals are synonymous to that of their casts. Could it not be that they act this way, that a Fire Mage's cast of Pyrokinesis and their use of the stone tug at their strength in the same way, because they are simply and completely one in the same?"

Mallard Caskal had been validated by The Monarchy shortly after his official address, but this was not enough to sate his lust for knowledge. Having established that the then-unknown crystals were demanding the same "casting" act as any spell would, Caskal went on to theorize why this was. Rather than look deeper into the properties of Magic as many before him had, Caskal was the first to put greater emphasis on the planet itself. He was said to have sold all his belongings and moved to a heavy mining city where he could hopefully catch a better glimpse of these crystals when excavated--and more importantly, get a better look at where they were pulled from. In an excerpt of correspondence with his long distance partner that has many historians theorize on the mental state of Caskal at this time in history:

• "My love, you've heard quite right! By impulse or by madness, I cannot fully say, I have uprooted myself to hack down all possible inhibition. Across the world I will go, from the cozy Svalbardian cottage I once called home, to the rough face of Porthcrawl where the mines are stowed. Goodbye cleanliness, Godliness, and instead I greet the callous of my hands and feet, and eyes stung by refuse! Gods, what have I done? I'll tell you and I both right now: what I have done, my cherub, is sacrifice. I will watch the holes they pluck the stones from, and slip into them and follow the light. I may be crazy, Marcus, but I will make myself right and make YOU proud.

I will further write once I arrive there.

Yours,
    Mallard

After spending an extensive 10 years in Porthcrawl, Mallard Caskal was able to further understand the earth and its many layers as they were excavated in search of crystals. Not many impersonal documents dated during this period were recovered, which leaves much conversation concerning the scientist's mental state largely unknown. As for his official logs on the subject, it was clear that Caskal had begun to notice a trend in the mines and their vertical distance from the surface. He collected soil samples from multiple layers and compared not only their appearance, consistency and (rumored) taste, but he had also tested their efficiency when it came to growing foliage and fostering insect life.

According to records, the expectation of both Caskal and his long distance colleagues had been that, surely, the uppermost layers of soil would be the most efficient for growth and nature because it was the most utilized of all the layers of Gilead given their everyday observation. What he had found out, however, was a shocking twist. In a recovered logbook archived in Porthcrawl as part of their history:

• "August, 1280 C.

My little garden has grown in ways that make me question my sanity, and so I feel the need to write the words and draw the pictures, so that perhaps if I later come to, I will have a reminder of my madness.

What I expected, what we ALL expected, is not what we were given. As I know sit and write this, I loom before a series of gardens with such severe disproportion in payoff--all with the same effort, and all with the same amount of seed!

The soil we know, and all nearest to its layer, have done precisely what we could expect. The grass has sprung up the same as the weeds that I have planted, and the creepers have begun to stretch for me; the peach seeds not at all. It is this same way for the other layers just beneath it, and as we grow farther from the light and warmth and closer to the dark, we have expected a decrease in potential, for these plants all demand the sun, do they not? And no God would lend her nurture to spaces that have never planned to use it.

And yet…tell me, any who can, w h y I sit before you with a canopy sprouting above me, blocking my view of the chandelier and its light? With peaches dangling in my sunroom, already beginning to blossom from the pot of…whatever this is, that I have collected from the very depths of the mine?

This does not make sense…
    …Or, pray, d o e s it?"

From this point on, Mallard Caskal had naturally focused his efforts on learning the parameters of this specific layer of earth and, if it was accessible, the layers beyond it. With no end in sight of how prolific the layers of Gilead were, Mallard Caskal had begun to propose a finalized image of what he had expected was the case. As the first scientist who turned his attention to the physical parameters of their world, the very core of it, he was the first to draw what he believed to be the anatomy of the planet.

In accordance with his further research, Mallard Caskal had concluded with his Gileadian Model that Gilead was some massive source of condensed of energy that had somehow acquired outer layers that sieved much of the core's Magic. The crystals that had been recovered, he proposed based on their infrequency of discovery and uneven edges, were simply shattered pieces of a far deeper layer that, at its position in the planet, was rife with Magic prowess "that nearly rivaled that of its fellow sentient counterparts." It was a bold and shocking claim that was met with many interpretations and outrage stemming from either disagreement or fear or both concerning the implication, and even now there is no concise explanation on just what Caskal had meant by this quote in a later address.

By the end of the 13th century, Mallard Caskal's health had begun to deteriorate at an alarming rate. It is not known from where his health issues arose, but there is much heated debate about the fall of one of the world's greatest minds. Some attribute his issues to heavy and often-careless exposure to mining conditions that had affected his respiratory system, eventually leading in a rasping death at the beginning of the 14th century in 1304. Others, following tightly in his footsteps, heavily speculate to this day that the exposure to the raw crystals and all that energy had begun to deteriorate him from the inside out.

In his final 5 years of life, Mallard Caskal was unable to continue his work and moved to his lover's home in Kheim, where he eventually passed. Caskal was said to have died in the arms of his lover for 15 years, Marcus Dunnel, who had stayed by his bedside the entire night after the fact.
Offline Onii May 20 2020, 12:46 PM
80 Mana · ?
THE ESCOT PARADIGM

Similar to the concept of Humors, The Escot Paradigm describes a theorem that defines the relationship between the five largest forces of Gilead, how they contribute to the anatomy of the world, and how individuals interact with and experience the world based on where they are placed in the prism. This prism model pictures Energy at the very top and Nature at the very bottom, with Entity, Magic and Blood on each of the three legs. Within the prism is the individual being considered by the paradigm, and outside the prism is considered to be an unquantifiable force acting on the structure to keep its poles intact with equal-opposite influence.

This model is used to propose both the makeup and tendencies of individuals based on their position in the prism. The nearer they are to one or more poles than another, the more influence those static forces have over their every aspect. There is great interpretive diversity concerning The Escot Paradigm model in that many argue between whether it should be considered on a literal, biological scale or a more metaphoric, psychological one.

For many in Gilead who align with this principle of people and their assigned fates, it bears striking resemblance to the idea of a star sign. It is also used to explain the anatomy of Gilead and the forces that govern it.

TOP: ENERGY
  • Energy's position at the very pole takes into account the universal influence of Magic on Gilead. The definition of "pure" annotates its most unbiased, raw form of life. The way it is equally attached to all other poles of the prism describes how none else can exist without it, and it generates a balance with outside forces. In this model, Energy is assumed to be synonymous to life energy with a "carte blanch"--inherently, initially without good OR bad implications--property. It is not interpreted as the ability to harness or cast Magic for personal use, thereby eliminating the issue that arises for the model concerning individuals who are born without said ability.

BASE: NATURE
  • Nature is stationed at the very base of the prism that extends to all poles equally. This force is described as all things inherently Gileadian. Freedom, sentience, adaptation, psychology, and all other earthly, secular aspects of living. This is a chaotic but relatively-grounded pole, and is only antonymous to the undefined outside of the prism.

ENTITY
  • Entities are all things paranormal or pertaining to the afterlife, which is not considered outside the realm of Gilead given the widely-accepted theory of reincarnation, the recycle of energy, as a natural process. Nature and Entities are the equivalent as Life and Death; equal, opposite, and together. "Entities" refers to spirits, ghosts, hellhounds, demons and many other related paranormal forces. Individuals closer to this pole are thought to be able to detect these entities far easier even without the use of Magic. These beings can slip into the tangible world should they be either intentionally pulled through, or should they find an inconsistency in its balance with the tangible side. The anatomy of the prism model and how its energy shared between the poles is used to explain why stronger entities like demons are unable to fully manifest themselves or their full strength without running the risk of being ripped apart by opposite forces in the prism. Entities are often either temporary residents, or they possess or take on tangible Human, Dire or Eximius forms through reincarnation.

MAGIC
  • Magic deals specifically with an individual's ability to harness this energy for personal use. While it is most common to be, it is NOT an inherent skill for all Gileadians. Not much is known concerning the whys when an individual is born without the ability to cast, harness or even be influenced by certain Magic such as hallucinatory and other mind-based Magic as it is a rare occurrence that comes with a higher survival stress. The Escot Paradigm is currently the only hypothesis that proposes some consistent parameter that may explain this phenomenon. It suggests that individuals positioned far from this pole of the prism naturally become what is termed as "Blank."

BLOOD
  • Blood is known as the channeling pole in that while it itself has no true identity, the forbidden power it grants individuals who orient towards it allows them to pull on the forces beyond the prism and distort the equilibrium within the model by inviting energy that is not properly accounted for. This idea is supported by much of the more literal experiments done concerning Blood Magic, named after this theorem, and its effect on the world and the people exposed to it. Heavy alignment to this pole explains why some individuals are capable of feeling and hearing things not of this world, as they are believed to sit in some limbo between normalcy and an old, dark secrets. These individuals are far better able to manage and master Blood Magic without detrimental bodily cost. According to the Paradigm, these factors explain why Blood Users must sacrifice parts of themselves be it blood, hair and nails, or at the very extreme, full amputations. Because of their kindred position at this pole, giving up part of themselves to somewhat offset the imbalance that comes with bringing something in is what keeps them relatively unharmed otherwise. A larger feat requires a larger sacrifice. Only individuals close enough to this pole can harness Blood Magic at all without (near) fatal repercussions, as even a handsome sacrifice from an "unfit individual" will play no part in a balancing act against what they have wrought.

IN PRACTICE

• The Escot Paradigm has been used to construct what are known as Paradigm Assessments, a series of tests that based on this theorem can decipher or "place" where an individual is in the prism. These are conducted by skilled Mages and runes that are used to detect the strength and makeup of one's individual aura, citing the hypothesis that there appear to be subtle similarities in the energies of individuals who are on or near the same poles. PA's are most common in certain Magic-oriented professions or academies that demand certain abilities from individuals, but because of its sheer importance in certain cultures it is even used to establish a class or caste system.

In other cultures where the use of Magic is synonymous to worth, it is routinely used to diagnose whether or not a child is or will most likely be Blank based on how far they are from the Magic pole in the paradigm. This can either be done in the third trimester, when the unborn child's energy has completely sieved from the mother's, or upon birth. In these societies it is well documented that children born without the ability to harness Magic for themselves are often given up, abandoned, or worse. For this reason there are advocacy groups across Gilead pressuring a decrease of PA's use in these areas, citing inhumanity and obsession with power. In more places than not, however, being Blank is considered a scourge, a curse, and feared to be contagious.

Likewise, individuals who test closer to Blood run the risk of being sent to Svalbard, the authority on such things Magic, to be forcible Neutralized, a state of manufactured Blankness. This is stems from fear that the individual will not only be easily persuaded to Blood Magic, but will thrive upon its use. Whether or not there are any moral or psychological implications concerning where a person tests in the prism--The Escot Paradigm itself does not attempt to make claims about these things. But people nearest to Blood are understandably considered capable of great atrocities in many circles, and at times individuals must hide their Assessment results from others.