Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

[P]  defining those edges

Away Najwa May 22 2020, 9:01 AM
  • Rogue
  • Race: Eximius
  • Total Posts: 60
  • Played by: G
340 Mana · View All Items?
They'd gotten a little caught up, they could admit this fact. A bit distracted, even. That fascinating little stand and the necklace she'd gotten ahold of had been absolutely worth the money'd she'd paid for it. The impending idea they might be late for their meeting with Vivica? Not so much. The note in their bag had only been discovered once they'd gone to safely store the necklace away, the ominous declaration of a time fast approaching and their patron's name, next to a location a hard run across most of Stadarfell. They'd clearly forgotten about it sometime during their morning since they didn't remember having the conversation nor writing the memo made to remind them. And yet, there it was, the accusing piece of paper practically burning a hole in their pocket.

If nothing else, Najwa was quick on the ball. They hadn't stopped to so much as second guess the situation, instead spinning into a fluid line of motion. They weren't usually keen on flexing their limits in city streets or indeed where anybody could just SEE them, but the idea of disappointing Vivica is FAR WORSE than the upset of some random stranger. Besides, if they were lucky they'd be there and gone before anybody could get a hint of the exi and their pervasive scent of wood fire and hot coals. The thoughts are but a vague justification for what they were already doing, their action always quicker than their thoughts, smart as they could be. Much abused boot leather skidded down another side alley at a dead sprint, Najwa already calculating the next corners and the best path to the little park where they were supposed to meet. It was in a quieter district of the city, a lot of wide spaces and empty streets meant that they kept their relentless pace at a dead sprint. Only a handful of people even caught the panicked exi's form as they slipped around people that stood in their way and swept through the shortcuts like the north wind itself, a trail of startled shouts and grumbled oaths following their form like smoke.

But it was triumphant and ALMOST on time that Najwa arrived, one clawed hand quick to snag the concrete pillar at the entrance and fling themselves in the correct direction of where Vivica waited. Waited, for them. Gods help their memory. "Sorry I was late. I didn't mean to, I just—" They ground to a halt slowly, the lack of consistent time or memory that tripped them up at the worst of times still feeling like a hollow point in their center. They didn't want to say it and instead skipped forward in the unspoken sentence, one clawed hand digging into the bag. "I found the memo, and I got something neat, too." They bring it out to show her, the strand of golden chain and the book one that still drew their eye like a siren song and spun their expression from repentant and anxious into enamoured. The story is just as quick to spill out of them as well. Anything to forget why they'd almost missed the meeting. "There was a seller on the docks, and look!"
Offline Vivica Jun 27 2020, 8:35 AM
  • Svalbard
  • Race: Human
  • Total Posts: 21
  • Played by: Isilzheha
620 Mana · View All Items?
Patience is a carefully crafted quality that requires cultivation every single day when navigating through daily life. Vivica would run out of hands to count how many times people have been late in her lifetime. If it bothered her the offending party would surely know of it at some capacity, the witch not one to be crossed over something as simple as arriving at a prearranged time. There were expectations placed on the eximius she had come to employ, Vivica knowing the solid structure of a schedule would help the Other in combating some of their memory issues. However, if she expected Najwa to be perfect in the matter she would be asking to be let down. At least for now, when only but a handful of days had passed since the eximius had arrived on her doorstep.

Stadarfell is huge and glorious in its architecture, the center more compact until it was pushing against the boundaries of the castle grounds. Vivica had chosen somewhere more secluded, in a sense, with less foot traffic and less eyes to pry. They were everywhere nonetheless. Escaping them would call for more tact, and the Magister had nothing to hide of such a meeting. So she sat on one of the benches surrounding a grand fountain, listening to the birds in the trees and watching them flit to and fro.

She'd been here in the capital for quite some time now. When Najwa was here they saw the bleak and sterilized interior of the vast catacomb-like laboratories down in the bowels of the Academy. Likely not much else. So Vivica was patient as she waited, already guessing that Najwa had gotten distracted by something. Truthfully they were in no rush, Vivica already having planned to show the eximius around. They had also been made aware during their first encounter that Vivica would bring them to the Queen for a more formal introduction once she was confident that they would be compatible enough for what her payment demanded. Soon enough the witch felt Najwa's presence before their waifish frame even became visible down the pathway, Vivica turning towards them expectantly and pleasantly surprised they were not as late as anticipated.

Najwa was slowing from an arduous run, even if the effects of it hardly showed in the creature's demeanor. All Vivica could see now was the anxiety within their face when they finally approached. 'Sorry I was late. I didn't mean to, I just—' A brow quirked at that, but Vivica said nothing yet and let Najwa come closer with a sudden uncertainty of presentation. 'I found the memo, and I got something neat, too.' Vivica lifted her head further at that, curious already in a scrutinizing way. "Did you now?" she asked plainly, her eyes dropping to scrambling hands that produced what looked to be a book on a chain. 'There was a seller on the docks, and look!' Their excitement stole away any anxiety they had currently, focus drifting to the golden chain that held the dangling book as it spun in the energetic movements. Vivica couldn't help but be entirely amused, a grin pulling across her lips. "So this is what kept you, and no doubt cost you the allowance for the day. Yes?" she asked, tilting her head as her gaze rose up to Najwa's face.

The witch wasn't disappointed, simply reiterating the facts that displayed themselves now with such a statement. She suspected the eximius already to have been swindled, especially if this little book came from a seller there of all places. "Let's see it then." Vivica held out her hand, Najwa dropping it into her palm so that she could pull it closer. The cover was a deep indigo with brighter yellow lettering engraved into it, and while it didn't feel entirely cheap in material as Vivica turned it over she knew it was also not likely worth what Najwa had paid for it. She gave a small, thoughtful hum. "What did this salesman say it was, Najwa? How much did you pay for it?"
Away Najwa Jul 16 2020, 11:06 AM
  • Rogue
  • Race: Eximius
  • Total Posts: 60
  • Played by: G
340 Mana · View All Items?
The first question earned Vivica a quick shake of their head, explanations eager to jump off the excited exi's tongue. "No, no, I left that at your home so I wouldn't be tempted to spend it on something. I like to have a reserve, just in case. No, I was doing message running, that's why I was at the docks. That's the only money I spent. It… was kind of a lot, though."

They were swift to hand the little trinket over too, fingers curling over themselves in idle gestures with the absence of anything to hold. "He said it was magic, enchanted to talk and everything. He said it does translations. You have to be careful opening it though, or it yells at you. I, uhm. Thirty five gold. What I paid for it, I mean." The number still made them cringe, even through the fascinated joy. It felt rather high a price, even if it had been worth it to them. It was magic, after all. A lifetime's worth of work went into mastering that. An expectant and hopeful look graced their features as they slipped closer to Vivica.

"What do you think?"