Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

[E]  SOMETHING IN THE WATER

Offline sbicy Jul 21 2020, 11:30 PM
#16
  • Age: 27
  • Gender: Female
  • Race: Human
  • Rank:
  • Total Posts: 9
  • Played by: Sbicy
190 Mana · ?

WD'S ACTION





  • → The chatter around you is distracting, yet grows alarmingly faint with only a few steps into the embrace of the woods. The foliage thickens, the effects of the water beginning to show on the endemic life that feeds upon it. Tree bark is dull and peeling nearest to the edge of the sluggish river, leaves thin and brittle. More than once, you nearly stumble on the body of a dead animal, half rotten, half fresh. Fixed ahead, a movement to your right catches your sharp eyes, darting back into cover before its form can be discerned.

    CHARACTER ACTION REQUIRED:
    The Forest tempts with illusions to conceal its intent. ROLL TO SAVE AGAINST BEING TRICKED AND DISTRACTED.
    SAVE: 11
    character may use passive abilities that aid in PERCEPTION






ALGERNON'S ACTION





  • → The rogues are agitated, but they do not bother to pursue you or antagonize. Instead, they keep their eyes trained on those that remain near the gathering place, saying nothing yet never wavering.

    → You come up close behind WD, observing the way that the forest has been drained by the polluted river. Though the smell has dulled your senses, it manages to frequently change with the slightest variations. Many times, you find yourself breathing in a familiar comfort, a nostalgic scent that further lures your mind into complacent wandering.

    CHARACTER ACTION REQUIRED:
    The Forest tempts with illusions to conceal its intent. ROLL TO SAVE AGAINST BEING TRICKED AND DISTRACTED.
    SAVE: 11
    character may use passive abilities that aid in PERCEPTION



Offline Jin Jul 22 2020, 11:25 AM
#17
  • The Weyrs
  • Age: 19
  • Gender: Male
  • Race: Dire
  • Rank: Nomad
  • Total Posts: 5
  • Played by: Pan
150 Mana · View All Items?
He watches in wide-eyed panic as the ends of his hair ages with startling speed, tendrils of black and gold morphing into brittle greyed ends that either fall to the floor or cling still to his hair. It is only by sheer instinct alone does Jin manage to grip the sheath of a hidden hunting dagger, pulling it from its holster before hurriedly cutting away the residual strands of aged hair. Even if the effects of the water did not seem to dredge past the point of submersion, the Dire was too afraid of unknowable consequences and refused to gamble his hubris against his life. Better safe than sorry, as was the creed of the inexperienced yellow-bellied.

In the midst of his idiocy, the boy doesn't realize when another Dire approaches him, not even when his words of concern parses the space between them to reach its shocked recipient. Instead, his reply is lagged and dramatic, not dissimilar to what transpired but seconds ago, as he reels with another jolt, frantic gaze now finding that of a freckled, young thing peering down at him.

"So-sorry, I'm fine," Jin peers down sheepishly, a dusting of pink warming across his face. "I did something stupid... And I scared myself..." The admittance doesn't come easily, but he doesn't know how long the other boy has been here. Though he imagines it wouldn't have mattered, he has always preferred honesty over needless deception or white lies.

In having looked down, he notices the areas where the water droplets touch the floor. The blades of grass have also lost their color, browned and bent, years of age accelerated into a minute instant. His lips purse and his brows furrow, rampant thoughts captured between the pages of an open book. "It's weird. Everything the water touches seems to age immediately, but it also doesn't seem to spread on its own." He pauses to stand, dusting off his clothes in a subconscious demonstration of manners for the Dire who'd been kind enough to be concerned for a stranger. Once he is as righted as can be, he turns to face the child of the Old Gods. A small smile tugs at the corners of his lips, a quiet thank you that extends a hand to him. "I'm Jin, by the way."

Though he came out relatively unscathed, something haunting lingers in the air, a siren call of ghouls and monsters hidden beneath the viscous water. It doesn't feel inorganic, not in any sense of the word. He sweeps their immediate perimeter for the others, only belatedly noticing their absence. "Whatever this is, it feels alive." And it feels dangerous. He muses aloud, attention turning back to the Dire. "Maybe we should find the others?" In truth, he is far from equipped in dealing with matters as these, though he seems to run headfirst into them at any given opportunity. The rhetorical question dangles as a moot point, hung in suspension as Jin begins to walk where he'd initially seen the two men. They had better chances in numbers despite their nonexistent rapport with one another.

- - -

ACTION: Jin walks in Mercer and Algernon's direction because he is properly scared. He's also low-key hoping that Sterling is following. Because he is scared.
Offline sbicy Jul 22 2020, 11:48 PM
#18
  • Age: 27
  • Gender: Female
  • Race: Human
  • Rank:
  • Total Posts: 9
  • Played by: Sbicy
190 Mana · View All Items?

JIN'S ACTION





  • → As you peer down into the murky surface, the alien sensation of being watched produces a cold shiver. Despite its hazardous smell and appearance, it beckons sweetly to your senses. Stepping into the thicker part of the woods to follow the imprints left in the wake of the two bickering strangers, the call of the water raises in volume. Soft on your periphery, it is difficult to tear your eyes away, wishing to lean closer and hear the secrets the river whispers.

    CHARACTER ACTION REQUIRED:
    The Forest tempts with illusions to conceal its intent. ROLL TO SAVE AGAINST BEING TRICKED AND DISTRACTED.
    SAVE: 11
    character may use passive abilities that aid in PERCEPTION




Offline Sterling Jul 23 2020, 1:37 AM
#19
  • Giruvaga
  • Age: 18
  • Gender: Male
  • Race: Dire
  • Rank: Nod
  • Total Posts: 3
  • Played by: Dorian
30 Mana · View All Items?
Curiosity mingled with that first sense of worry that had originally drawn Sterling towards the one who had screamed after having some contact with the murky depths. Distraction was seen clearly as the larger dire caused him pause as a dagger was unsheathed and quickly brought against the withering aged strangers of hair before they were sliced out of place to be discarded as if the plague was carried upon those grayed strands. There was no blame put against the other dire’s response for there was a lingering unknowing for what would come of this sickened stream but Sterling could not help but to question if it was a necessary reaction though the droplets had not touched any skin. If it did this to hair, would the skin hold a similar fate? Sluffing off from death or just be tainted by whatever disease seemed to linger on this slowly decaying terrain.

It did not take much longer for the other wolf to turn and face him, hand lifted in brief greeting though it was retreated with a jump of his own as the other jolted. Muscles tense in each form as one acted in fear and the other in defense for all that could come from the fearful who wielded a weapon. Sterling’s form stuttered back a half step from where the stranger was even as apology soon ghosted itself across his tongue as eyes were averted with what could be guessed was embarrassment, ‘I scared myself.’ The last bit of the other boy’s lines sticking out and the dire did his best to brush it off even as words rode upon a light bubble of laughter that had failed to be kept tucked away within the reassurance, “Happens to the best of us.”

Redirection given towards the speckled life upon the ground as Sterling took a step closer to the sickly looking water. A nicker from Bramble catching his ear though he quickly motioned for her to stay back near the trees as if seeking to keep the mare out of potential harm’s way for he was uncertain if she would act upon bold nature and find contact with something that was shown to be, in a degree, harmful. Nodding to the other’s words there was no denial to that things were in fact weird around here as a disturbance lingered more than just at the water’s edge but also in the band of individual’s who hovered around as if they were curious though acted with defense as they skittered from the inquiry of others. And for a moment the boy debated crossing the grounds to confront them as eyes locked against their position even as the other, much closer from, stood.

‘I’m Jin, by the way,’ words being enough to draw Sterling’s eye from where it had locked. Only as that crown rotated it in the same motion was forced to lift as a neck craned back just to see the other’s face in the close proximity the two dire still shared with one another. Jin was a whole lot taller than he had seemed panicked on the ground moments ago and it took the boy a second to realize that a hand was offered in his direction in the greeting. Taking a moment as if mulling things over before committing to taking it within his own in an almost exaggerated motion as a more playful grin, compared to Jin’s own, fell against his features, “I’m Sterling. But you’re right, things ain’t right around here,” a vague gesture towards the rogues who watched them with suspicion and seemed deflective of assistance with these troubles, “Or with them if I had to guess.”

Words only carrying with them the belief they should not be ignored, fully at least, though it was hard to turn down the vague invitation to chase after the others on the tail of the other wolf. Taking a glance from where they stood Sterling attempted to pick out where these others had come to be. Upon arrival they had been noted but not observed as favor went towards the one who was actually screaming rather than poking at the stream or attempting conversation. Shoulders shrugged at the suggestion, “Can’t hurt nothin’ to hunt them down,” then return to try and talk to those left behind. And it was nearly as soon as the words were spoken that the other began his action of pursuit, Sterling catching himself as steps were quick to fall into place though his eyes still lingered upon the rogues as they went.

Question in that look before focus fell upon the woman who had been poking at the water as Jin had been before backpedaling away. Momentarily Sterling’s pace sped up till he could catch himself at the stranger’s side and that was where his steps faltered, “Hey!” Eyes flicking to keep attention on Jin before turning to face the woman who had hazarded a glance his direction. A pointed motion was made towards the rogues, hand lifting in a gesture their direction, as he spoke up. “Wanna see if you can get anythin’ out of them?” Talking had already failed once though it never hurt to press further, “If you want just call Bramble,” gesture towards the dark winged equine who had ventured partially after the boy but kept the distance from the water he requested of her. “She can help if they get weird.” Not that they already hadn’t, but that was all to be said before steps quickened once more in pursuit of Jin.


Action: Stares at the rogues for a hot second before seeing if Branwen [I double checked her position with Rose before postin] would talk to them while he goes after Jin since he was invited to tag along LOL All these strangers might have answers.
Offline Branwen Jul 24 2020, 11:05 PM
#20
  • Svalbard
  • Age: 36
  • Gender: Female
  • Race: Human
  • Rank: Archer
  • Total Posts: 26
  • Played by: Rosie
145 Mana · View All Items?
It sinks and is eaten quickly in front of her before her very eyes as if the river itself was alive, in a sentient sense. A beast. It scares the lark, but there is not a word that she says about it as she steps away. From the river at first, then further to put some distance between herself and strangers. The answer to the river, would not be within it itself. At least, none that she could find by diving into it, herself. No, no, no. It was quite clear now what thing would happen if she so sweetly even ever decided to dip her toe in the substance. It is the way that the rogues stand together, inspecting them and responding to the other near the water that she begins to almost suspect them. What have they done? It’s not a question that she actually brings to light with her lips, although she feels like she needs to find a way to put her finger on their attachment to such a mysterious condition to the water. 



She can sense danger sometimes, she knows. Can feel an arrow on the path that it is flying before it even hits, that by the same logic she might at least sense or pattern that might at least pull her in the right direction where her own wits meet their end. The feeling that she gets as she spies their eyes, their equipment, and that of her so closest ‘companions’ do not give her any hint of reassurance. Like a fog it’s thick and everywhere in the air all at once. And as her heart bleats in her chest she resists the itch in her hand (but it flinches) to grab at a dagger, or her bow and arrow. 



Instead it remains at her side. There was no need to aggravate the rogues further. There were so many of them after all. Although she does want to speak with them, she knows she must choose her words wisely if she were to. 



As to the exchange that happened between the eximius and the dire, she could not but funnily note that it was the eximius out of the two that was expected to smell the river. It is only when she hear the dire’s voice grew paler by the distance that she has realises that they are walking further into the woods, in the direction the river flows from.



It makes sense, and she’s quick to think of following them to as another boy quickly follows, and soon another but not before he reminds her of the ever present mass group of individuals that stand there. Have stood there, for a while..not quite known exactly. That she is now alone with, against the others that strayed much further to the water’s edge and now too stray into the tree line. 


Although her feet may not have carried her into the woods to follow after them, there was a small chance for her to desire to remain here under the scrutinous gaze of the rogues - she is one woman, small and 5’2”- if not for the pegasus that one of the younglings had left behind to possibly help. “Bramble?” she repeats the name softly, as if by instinct as her eyes turn over to inspect the mount. 



It gives her no or more less sense of danger from the onset but she is strong, and from the way she dotes on her owner, she supposes it is possibly enough of a back up (read escape) if she finds that she can not handle them. She had wanted to speak to them after all. So the lark goes on, turning back to the rogues.. Her eyes scan over and analyze them quickly. Fixating on what things she might read about their dynamics and want on a surface level- who is in front, who has more items (or more valuable ones), and who they look to for direction. Before her eyes quickly go back to the leader (or at least who has spoken last earlier). 


“What do you want?” she soon finally asks, after what seemed like a shared careful, watchful silence. Meaning to be helpful, but perhaps brusque in the sheer simplicity of what she asks. She feels like they want something, for otherwise why would they be here? Curiosity may be one reason, but it’s not what she thinks. The behaviour too unusual, as were the eyes that watched her but did not move. 


Looks at rogues, tries to quickly identify the group dynamics between/within them. Asks the one who has spoken earlier particularly what they want.

Offline sbicy Jul 27 2020, 2:28 AM
#21
  • Age: 27
  • Gender: Female
  • Race: Human
  • Rank:
  • Total Posts: 9
  • Played by: Sbicy
190 Mana · View All Items?

ALGERNON'S ACTION




  • ALGERNON HAS FAILED THE SAVE
    RESULT: 2

    → Without much fuss, the world around you fades away. The scent and sound of the woods pries into the recesses of your mind, seducing your wild senses. A way opens through the trees, luring your confident stride from the path and deeper and deeper into unknown territory. You are alone in this place, drawn by careless pleasures conjured by illusion--tailored only for you. Without intervention, you will ceaselessly wander until the forest has had its way with you, fully trapped in the tangle of its web.

    CHARACTER STATUS:
    ALGERNON is beguiled by UNKNOWN MAGIC.






WD'S ACTION




  • WD HAS PASSED THE SAVE
    RESULT: 18

    → The shadows dart and frolic, tempting your predatory instincts by fleeting along the edge of your periphery. However, your sharp wit is hard to fool, and a lack of solid form leads you to believe that it is likely a trick. The forest has failed to sway you... for now.

    CHARACTER STATUS:
    WD is ALERT.
    character may roll with advantage on next save that involves ILLUSION.






JIN'S ACTION




  • JIN HAS FAILED THE SAVE
    RESULT: 4

    → Darkness encroaches upon the canopy that has grown inexplicably thicker above you. Dying leaves shiver in the wind, plucked from their branches to brush their cry, withered forms against your skin. Though you were following the others, their memory becomes harder to grasp. You were always alone here in these terrifying woods, where the water sloshes hungrily up toward the path to lick at your feet. The shadows that grow long away from the water's widening edge become ever more apparent as the way to flee for safety.

    CHARACTER STATUS:
    JIN is beguiled by UNKNOWN MAGIC.






STERLINGS ACTION





  • → Leaving the human, you walk in the lumbering shadow of the taller dire, Jin. It is not difficult to see that he is spooked--perhaps moreso than is necessary based on what happened to him. Ahead, the strange pair of strangers have all but disappeared into the woods, leaving their scents as paths to follow. That eerie sensation only heightens as you follow beside the river, distracting you just as your sharp ears detect an angry hiss from below. A serpent lays coiled beneath the cover of the foliage, its scales dry and peeling, half rotten as it offers no more warning before it strikes at your ankle.

    CHARACTER ACTION REQUIRED:
    A snake is attacking you! ROLL TO DODGE ITS BITE.
    Save: 11
    character may use abilities that boost EVASION






BRANWEN'S ACTION





  • → One by one, the others filter from the open space of the clearing to leave you alone with the group of rogues. The clearing begins to feel too big, yet suffocating; their eyes trained solely on you as more faces than expected poke from behind trees and underbrush now that the crowd has thinned. You are vastly outnumbered, but none move closer or act hostile. Those that you can see clearly are dressed in simple cloth, fewer with leather or any discernible items on their person. The one who spoke before, a thin-boned man with a braided beard, has a satchel. At your question, he narrows his eyes, turning back to some others that linger near to mutter something in an unknown language.

    "We want to know why you are out here, and why the river is of sudden interest." His voice is like gravel, tumbling down upon a mountainside. "Our elders might have answers, if you wish to ask questions." He seems nonplussed by the alicorn, gaze darting between it and you several times while speaking.




Offline Sterling Aug 1 2020, 8:41 PM
#22
  • Giruvaga
  • Age: 18
  • Gender: Male
  • Race: Dire
  • Rank: Nod
  • Total Posts: 3
  • Played by: Dorian
30 Mana · View All Items?
Conversation with the woman was quick to die upon the boy’s tongue as a hurried pace seized his steps in order to close the distance between him and the other dire whose long strides covered more ground, less he paused when he noticed Sterling was not following. Jin seemed a fearful sort in the way his posture read and though he was currently leading the way Sterling was uncertain what to make of him past that just yet. No matter the boy stuck close as it was the only act of comfort that was offered as attentions wavered off towards where others had been claimed to be despite the fact they were no longer able to be seen. For just a moment the dire let those fiery eyes close as a deep inhale was taken in a hope to stay tight on the trail of those long gone. Their scents were left as ghosts amongst the stench of pollution as it trailed further up river, however, it was not them that curled the wolf’s lip. A hint of something partially rotten caught upon the senses though it was interrupted by a sharp note of alarm, a hiss.

Eyes shot open as a crown quickly dipped towards the serpent coiled in the grass which offered no time to study it or think about action. Recoil was all that could be done with a flash of fear that scent Sterling scurrying back as it lashed out with teeth nearly catching the skin of his ankle, a brush of that scaled hide felt as he drew back. Panic sparked anew within the child’s chest as a heart hammered in place as a shaken boy stared down at the creature whose form twisted against the soil. “Jin, c’mere,” vocals wavering lightly as he spoke. Sterling had come out here chasing rumors in a hope to see what could be discovered and instead found others just as curious as he was. One, two, the seconds ticked by without a reply and eyes lifted from where they had settled against the snake to find what had enamored the other wolf. “Hey, you listenin’?” It became apparent that he spoke with no one now as the words appeared to go unnoticed as the taller dire’s feet turned against the path they walked.

One more glance towards the serpent before a hurried pace was taken as a form wheeled back around to catch up to the other who was beginning to detour off the course of the other’s scents. No longer did his steps trail after them to follow further up river as more than eyes turned towards the banks that were not far off. Feet scuffing against the rockier terrain to stare down at the mire even as Sterling tried to get his attention, “You see somethin’?” Question somewhat airy upon the boy’s tongue as if there was a rising hopelessness to gain some answer from the one who seemed so distracted now, though he made an attempt to look out towards whatever it was that Jin was staring at. At least until fear struck him hard when steps began to gravitate towards the water he had tried so hard to avoid before, “The hell you doin’, Jin?” Lyrics spat hurriedly from Sterling’s lips as steps rounded about in front of the other in an attempt to brace within his path, hands lifting to grab at his biceps or even shove back against his chest should it be necessary. “Thought we was followin’ them not gettin’ closer,” still seeking his reply as they snapped between his teeth as a lifted chin pointed off upstream.


Action: Tryin to talk to Jin then stop this dazed man from walkin into the water like an idoet.
Also had rolled a 12 for the snek avoid.
Offline Algernon Aug 2 2020, 2:21 AM
#23
  • Dorsum
  • Age: 33
  • Gender: Male
  • Race: Dire
  • Rank: Commoner
  • Total Posts: 6
  • Played by: Isilzheha
320 Mana · View All Items?
He’d heard whatever the eximius said at first; something in his mind registered it as spoken words that caused him to frown. Already his attention was split between the assassin, the darkened river, and the abysmal stench of decay. Once or twice Mercer’s shoes kicked against something and his gait faltered, though the detective did nothing to assist him. By the time his eyes pulled away to survey their surroundings again the exi was drifting astray slightly. Or maybe that was him…

A breeze brought with it a familiar scent riding along the pungent death of animal carcasses, something comforting about the brief passage of it. Algernon’s eyebrows pulled together and he was the one faltering now, forcing his legs to push onwards when the smell dissipated. He’d thought it odd at first when he became easily desensitized to the partially decomposing corpses, but that soon drifted from his mind with a new focus. This one had him tilting his chin up as he paused to watch the swaying of the trees. Peaceful in its own way, rippling like the surface of water with branches seeming to coax him along.

There. The familiar scent again. It lingered in his senses once it registered again, and there was no mistaking it. Spices and various fresh herbs hovered along the thicker woodsmoke, and Algernon watched it coiling through the trees. Some kind of camp or settlement perhaps. Whatever the case was he started to veer towards it, those left behind with the Rogues at the water’s edge and the assassin he walked with falling away from his mind with what should have been frightening ease. The wolf didn’t feel frightened.

Further and further he went, hearing a buzzing at the back of his mind through the curls of his dark hair. Voices tickled at the shell of his ear, but only the smooth, unforgettable baritones of his brother clicked. ‘About time,’ they said lightly and with a small laugh, Algernon rounding the trees that blocked him to catch flickering glimpses of the other wolf’s body. He didn’t feel lost, and the putrid nature of the river became a distant echo. He knew this path, and the one that stretched out from the other side of the home in the fields. ‘Was thinking I would have to go drag you back again.

Algernon saw him then, half-turned with a dimpled grin on his face and eyebrows raised in patient acceptance. At times, along the walk, he thought he might have been responding but there was a heaviness in his throat. That same feeling spread over his chest, but just as soon as it appeared it was gone. Twisted into butterflies of anticipation for their mother’s cooking, something he hadn’t tasted or smelled in so long. Algernon’s gaze drifted beyond his brother to where the shutters were opened with all of their hanging plants, catching glimpses of a feminine form moving to and fro. He didn’t recoil when his long dead brother put his arm around his shoulders - he just kept walking up the path towards the modest house.

Action: He high af just walkin’, havin’ a good time in bat country
Offline Branwen Aug 22 2020, 1:24 AM
#24
  • Svalbard
  • Age: 36
  • Gender: Female
  • Race: Human
  • Rank: Archer
  • Total Posts: 26
  • Played by: Rosie
145 Mana · View All Items?
There is a thick tension in the air, as those that did not look like they were from here found intrigue in the corrupted waters filtered away and more of the rogues somehow poured in still. Numerous. But there is some reassurance in that she doesn’t see a whole lot of items on their person, at least not in their hands. Still they don’t come closer. Many are dressed even more simply, just in clothes, without any kind of leather hide to help protect their soft flesh from the harsh creatures that lived in the Hinterlands or the formidable land itself.

Still there are so many, that overwhelm her simple number of one - or possibly two, if the alicorn left behind by one of the other previous stranger really would come to her aid. No doubt, enough among them are stronger too. There are always notable reasons why one would choose to live in such a wild and dangerous place after all. -but possibly they are lesser with the one that comes forward again to speak.

’We want to know why you are out here, and why this river is of sudden interest,’

Those were great questions...since they were valid. Though to admit to be checking on borders for Svalbard would probably not have her well within their graces. Many came to live here after all, to be above or a part from the law.

“Hunting, foraging...though I hadn’t meant to venture in so far. When I wasn’t finding much luck at first I found small animals on the path that had somehow died of thirst but then I had also found a river.” She takes out a small squirrel from her brown leather purse to show them or more so this person who seems to broach the role so far as leader. It’s also relatively thin, but possibly not as much as the rogues’ speaker. She had not skinned it yet fully to properly check but as far as yet she hadn’t noticed any maggots.

"The water is contaminated somehow. I suggest that none of your people drink or use any of the water of this river until you get the clear that the situation has reversed. But I’m suspecting those that are walking upstream of the river are also trying to find out why,” she says this compassionately, although the bad feeling of something has not totally acquitted along with the concerns and fear. It is still a large amount of people who had most likely depended on this water source, and no doubt the animals that had been attracted to it.

Talking to the elders does sound like it could be helpful. The prospect of walking into a home base of people that she could not be certain of however presented another problem.

She soon turns her head to look at that alicorn also, watching as the man also looks at it. And seeming to think or turn concern to the horse-like creature offers her hand to see if it would sniff it to be accommodating of her, then pat it’s nose as it becomes comfortable with her. “It would be good to see what they know,” she says a little wistfully as she turns her attention back, with that lingering sense that she had more to say. “But I can not leave my friend’s steed here,” even though she has only met Sterling just now. Leaving your alicorn behind with someone was a quite bit of trust either in her or Bramble. “Are they very far?” she asks again, looking at the man’s face and eyes. As if attempting to read it, as she ventures to take a scope at his mind and those that whisper to him in foreign and unusual speech.

Branwen attempts to converse farther with the speaker of the rogues, tries to bond a little with Sterling's alicorn Bramble and after asking about the elders that the man speaks of wants to read the minds of the speaker and those among them muttering to each other or to him earlier.
Offline Jin Sep 3 2020, 11:20 AM
#25
  • The Weyrs
  • Age: 19
  • Gender: Male
  • Race: Dire
  • Rank: Nomad
  • Total Posts: 5
  • Played by: Pan
150 Mana · View All Items?
The spell that entrances him is an insidious thing, without shape or form to warn of its invisible grips that shackle the boy and lure him deeper into the forest. He doesn't realize the darkness that creeps along the edges of his vision, or of how the canopies above seem to stretch and yawn, stealing away with more light than they were oft to do. Instead his eyes are latched onto imagined silhouettes, clinging to a fast-fading objective.

He was following someone, no?

People?

Ghosts, even.

Jin swallows down a rising pit of dread, nauseated by the touch of death that grazes his arm as dry, withered leaves. He shrinks away, jerking left then right, but the sudden chill that seizes him is impossible to shake. He has always been alone here, abandoned by fragments of things he should know but cannot remember. How had he wound up here in these dismal parts? Where was he? Panic wrings his muscles taut, tightly scrunching his shoulders to his face as he barrels forward in a mess of tangled feet that clash and skid against the dirt and foliage. More than a few times, the boy stumbles but catches himself in desperation to escape his solitude.

That is, until he feels (more so than he sees) a very real weight about his shoulders. The force shifts to his chest, a rough shove that propels him away from the throes of safety. A whimpering cry tears from the boy's lip and without warning, he hunkers down and attempts to boulder his way past the younger Dire. To Jin, there is naught more than an unseeable danger before him with his path to salvation lapping higher onto the path. In a fit of hysteria, he closes the distance between himself and the river, attempting to bodily throw himself in the false promise of asylum.

- - -

ACTION: Dice Maiden decrees (roll: 5) that Jin does not break out of the illusion and instead, attempts to boulder past Sterling so to throw himself into the river. Just let the boyo die.
Offline WD Sep 5 2020, 2:29 AM
#26
  • Ballasburn
  • Age: 42
  • Gender: Male
  • Race: Eximius
  • Rank: House Diamonds
  • Total Posts: 3
  • Played by: Onii
1,130 Mana · View All Items?
He wasn't sure if it was the Madness playing across his eyes or something entirely there and yet n o t, but he'd found himself more and more susceptible to swirling influences the deeper they traveled until he was like a stripped, exposed wire. He'd lived with it long enough to allow himself to get lost in it--like floating downstream, rather than fruitlessly trying to swim up it. It always made less of a fuss that way, and Dee didn't like making a mess that he wasn't in control of. For that reason the sheer extent of his degenerating state was lesser known by all but one or two, and Algernon was certainly not either of those individuals.

Speaking of the ingrate...

In an instant, Algernon was gone. Or had he been the one who left him? Which one of them had strayed from who?
If you wanted to get technical Dee was the one who decided to go down this trail in the first place so he was the captain here, but the point was that Dee was right enough in the head (about as right in the head as he could get) to notice that, at some point, Algernon had decided to go the wrong way. And while that would have been just fine any other day because he could use as minimal bitching as possible, the Eximius felt a strong reflexive sense of urgency that had him twist on his heels and scour the scenery for the missing Dire. With mounting tensions and the ever-present sense of something parasitically perched in his head, Dee flung himself off to trace after the wolf's scent. Never had he noticed how hearty a scent it was, distracting really, inciting some swift kick of his heart. He was hunting him even though he didn't notice that was the case in the moment. He thought of nothing beyond the chase itself, movements cutting and aggressive and some mix of delight and spite. Thorns sliced at his wrists as he closed in on his mark, slipping through a thorny thicket and rounding a warped oak.

He didn't wait for an explanation. Algernon hadn't gotten too far but that certainly hadn't kept the Eximius from nearly pouncing on him from behind while he dawdled into whereverthefuck it was he was going. Dee prowled the last stretch and took a hold of the Dire's shoulder with a a callous force, ripping back with enough force to undo a couple long strides' worth of paces. Enough to switch their positions, with Dee facing the man who just as well may now have whiplash. It hadn't been his initial intention to ever let him go. To have any legible part left of the man to stare at, to bitch at. He's aware of that reality even if no conscious thought of his imagined up the rhetoric. Like suddenly becoming aware of some detail in a dream without ever seeing it in the landscape itself. Sudden knowledge, raw and disembodied without an author.
Dee was visibly exhausted. A nicer way of saying "fed up with Algernon's bullshit."
"Where the fuck are you going?? You dragged me out here and now you're what, going singing in the fuckin rain? You can do that LITERALLY anywhere else. ..Let's go." He didn't wait for much in the way of explanations, really, and sharply gestured with a toss of an arm back the way they'd come. The sooner they were out of here the sooner he could get this t h i n g off his back and out of his head.

ACTION: Dee has reunited with Algernon, and is waiting to head back the way they came towards the river.
Offline sbicy Sep 17 2020, 10:20 PM
#27
  • Age: 27
  • Gender: Female
  • Race: Human
  • Rank:
  • Total Posts: 9
  • Played by: Sbicy
190 Mana · View All Items?

STERLING'S ACTION




  • STERLING HAS SUCCEEDED IN DODGING THE SNAKE
    RESULT: 12

    → The viper that was coiled at your feet strikes open air, your quick reflexes allowing for you to sense the attack before it makes its mark. With a hiss of warning the serpent slithers deeper into the cluttered forest floor. Your attempts to jar your companion from his strange behavior are unsuccessful as Jin tears from your grip and shoves his way through the brush toward the black waters.

    CHARACTER STATUS:
    STERLING is unable to rouse JIN from his TRANCE.






ALGERNON'S ACTION




  • ALGERNON IS FREE DUE TO WD'S SUCCESSFUL ROLL
    RESULT: 18

    → The wood has you tangled in its grip, drawing you further from the water's edge and to unfamiliar shadows. Sensory illusions become clearer, sharper, the further toward them you go. Your family beckons with smiles and warm touches, relaxing you completely into this vision. Just as you reach for your brother, a rough hand slaps your shoulder, shattering the scene in the next moment that you blink. You are standing in the forest again, your memory slow to catch up with where you had been before. A wind cuts sharp through the treetops, hissing in anger at its stolen victim.

    CHARACTER STATUS:
    ALGERNON is GROGGY but has BROKEN FREE OF THE ILLUSION.






BRANWEN'S ACTION




  • BRANWEN HAS SUCCESSFULLY USED TELEPATHY AGAINST THE ROGUES
    RESULT: 17

    → The rogues take in your replies with silent contemplation, giving nothing away as the bodies filter from the small clearing and the quiet deepens. The alicorn at your side lifts its head, looking off into the space where its rider has disappeared with flaring nostrils and wide eyes. With subtle casting, your magic reaches out toward the group, plucking stray thoughts from the leader's mind as though they were an echo of your own. Due to a lack of intimacy with this stranger, they are a jumbled collection of words and images. A path through the trees is shown to you, winding up into a sparse village populated with more wild rogues. The leader takes a mental stock of his supplies in his bag, which include rope, a small dagger, and cloth. His intentions are difficult to decipher, though his thoughts flit back to these items quite frequently.

    "Not too terribly, just around the bend. I'm sure the alicorn will be alright here, so long as it doesn't wander off. I don't want it back at the village, liable to spook people." He speaks without knowing of your magic, making a gesture to the rough path beside him that you can now see with his insight. "You comin'?"

    CHARACTER STATUS:
    BRANWEN must make a choice: ROGUES, OR FACE THE WOODS WITH THE OTHERS.






JIN'S ACTION




  • JIN IS UNSUCCESSFUL IN BREAKING HIS TRANCE
    RESULT: 4

    → It's too much. The loneliness is suffocating, clawing at your throat as the shadows box you in and grow long. This place is entirely unfamiliar to you, raising the hair along your arms and neck with a frigid trail of gooseflesh. A siren's song gurgles from the water's edge, a promise of safety and warmth where all has become cold. You take off toward the sweet call, plunging into the river. The pain is immediate and jars you from your vision, back in the same woods as before as the water sears your flesh. Energy is sapped from your bones, the thick waves tugging you further from the shore. You are sinking fast, and have not the strength to fight.

    CHARACTER STATUS:
    JIN has succumbed to the vision and DOVE into the WATER. JIN MUST MAKE A SUCCESSFUL CHECK TO BREAK FREE OF THE WATER'S HOLD.
    SAVE: 10
    JIN HAS TAKEN (21) DAMAGE.
    STARTING HP: 50
    CURRENT HP: 29







WD'S ACTION




  • ALGERNON IS FREE DUE TO WD'S SUCCESSFUL ROLL
    RESULT: 18

    → Having noticed the absence of your partner, you catch him just before he is lost to the tangled weave of thick foliage. The way you jerk him back seems to snap him back into his senses, blinking slow as if waking from a dream. Patience thin at these antics, you continue down the path you can hardly make out near the water's edge, though you do hear a violent splash from behind.

    CHARACTER STATUS:
    WD is CLEAR-MINDED and FOCUSED.